Lingerie as Outerwear: Spring into Color



I like to live dangerously. I eat the bread that’s a day passed due. I throw caution to the wind and step on the cracks in the sidewalk, with nary a phone call to check on my mother’s back. I don’t want to brag, but I even wear white after Labor Day!

I know! I’m totally a rebel. So it won’t surprise you to see, that I have chosen a sweetly soft, whimsical skirt during this month of mammoth winds and typhoon-like gales! Eeek! That could lead to an unintentional (although, is it really, if you’re out in this weather in a skirt?) Marilyn Monroe moment! That’s right ladies, join me on the edge, it’s fun and only a wee bit naughty.

Why am I deliberately exposing you lovely lingeristas to a potentially precarious situation? Well, I suppose it’s fair to blame the MC Lounge silk cami. After all, with something that light and airy, how could I possibly pair it up with anything that could withstand a blustery day? You’ll just need to be extra vigilant or spend quite a bit of time sitting down.

Speaking of sitting down, that’s how I decided where my fake vacation would be this week! I was thinking back to a great holiday I had way out in Vancouver and I decided that Stanley Park was going to be my little destination this week. The park is awesome, something for everyone, grassy area, beachy area, wooded area... lots of different areas. That amazing aroma of the ocean on a warm Spring day is something you definitely don’t want to miss. Given a choice, I would stroll around, then lay out my beach blanket on the sand or the grass (depending on what was drier) and settle in for a long comfy read (I suggest The Hunger Games) in the warm sunshine.

Now, you could take your sandals off to get super comfy, but I’m thinking these espadrilles are already pretty cozy and they look so nice on, that you may as well just leave them. You should definitely take them off while you paint your wee toe nails that Midsummers’ Dream pink from MAC though. Nothing less fun than ruining a nice pair of leather shoes with nail polish!

That adorable hooded cardigan is meant to be just draped over your shoulders like a shawl, but you can leave your arms free to show off your multitude of bling and bangles! I really should have backed away from that green ring, but c’mon folks, look at it! It needed to join in on the fun! Can you imagine the sparkle in the sunlight? Absolutely delicious!

The purse is just big enough for a paperback, your philosophy sunscreen, phone and water bottle. What more do you need? Don’t forget that your Dior Sunglasses can also act as the perfect sneaky nap time enabler. Keep your book wedged open in front of you and no one will know you’ve nodded off... unless you snore or drool.  

1. MC Lounge Silk Racer Back Camisole: The stretch silk of this beautiful cami will lightly skim and flow over your shape and provide you with just the right level of coverage, if the sun finally comes out and you can slip that cardigan off your shoulders.

2. Jamie Joseph Hand Faceted Green Onyx Ring: Okay. I’ve already pointed out that the ring is a little obvious for the outfit, but I’m not going to apologize for how cool it’s going to look on your hand. That bold, green onyx is dazzling and the gold setting was just too perfect to pass up. I’m not sorry I chose it, so there! Nyah!

3. Jacques An Lanh Wooden Bracelet Cuff: The wooden cuff has a beautiful organic quality to it that I felt paired up well with our lovely espadrille sandals and casual look. It isn’t too complicated or fussy and mixes nicely with your other arm eye candy.

4. Dior Cat Eye Sunglasses with Logo on Temple: Did I go a little over the top with these? Nah, that’s just crazy talk. Every woman needs a pair of seriously retro cat eye sunglasses. I have yet to see anyone look bad in this style. If you’re reading outside, they’ll help you avoid the squint that screams “Look at me! I don’t care about my eye health or that I’m exponentially increasing my crows feet while I sit out here baking in the sun.” Seriously, no one looks good with the squint. Try to avoid it all costs.


5. Antonio Marras Floral Skirt: Totally drool worthy right? The thing I like most about this skirt is that it can work in both a retro and contemporary styled outfit. The beautiful green pattern is feminine, bold and a welcome change after all the grays and sludgey tones of our landscape and seems like the perfect herald for Spring. It doesn’t hurt that it will go together with the MC Lounge Cami perfectly!

6. MAC Nail Lacquer in Midsummer’s Dream: A gentle hint of pink on the nails is so Spring-like and fun, I couldn’t resist. MAC makes a great nail polish too. It lasts a decent amount of time and the sheen is perfect. Just don’t go nibbling your nails when you get to a sad part!


7. Stuart Weitzman Tempo Leather Sandals: It isn’t easy finding espadrille-ish sandals that aren’t overly clunky or composed entirely of string. These were exactly what I was looking for! The medium tan of the leather is a nice neutral and they seem solid enough without looking like two clumps of raffia-tied concrete.

8. philosophy 'here comes the sun' age defense facial sunscreen SPF 40:Remember those crows feet we were talking about? Well, here’s another little weapon in your arsenal to avoid them. At 40 SPF and water resistant to boot, you should be well and truly covered to enjoy a little Vitamin D time. I love philosophy products, they do what they say they will and they don’t make my face turn into a blotchy, bumpy mess. Which is always a good thing.

9. Chanel Vintage Chunky Chain Bracelet Cuff: This is a serious bracelet and almost too serious for a simple afternoon spent reading in the park. Luckily it will be framed by all the other bracelets and cuffs, so it won’t be too domineering. I suppose we could pretend it’s the ultimate luxury hand weight for repetitions to build up your arm muscles, but really, do you ever need to justify putting on a little something Chanel?

10. Hooded Pointelle Cropped Cardigan: This cardigan was an easy choice. I was going to go with the sexy librarian cardigan look, but I’d already spent all my gimmes with the ring. Plus the glasses would have been too much, so I decided to go for a fun crocheted look instead. The hood is really what sold me on the cute cropped sweater, not to mention the open weave of the knit will let more people admire your audacity in wearing your lingerie as outerwear!


11. Chanel Vintage Coin Necklace: There’s just something about Chanel isn’t there? Seriously, so simple, yet they nail the weight of the metal, perfectly balanced by the chain links and the design isn’t over or under done. It’s all goldilocks and just right!


12. Sonia Rykiel Cuff Bracelet: This cuff is just a little bit ‘80s and a whole lot cute isn’t it? It’s chunky and solid enough to hold it’s own against the wooden cuff and the golden Chanel bracelet and acts as a balance to keep the look firmly on the fun and casual side.

13. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: True confessions time. I read the trilogy over three days. I couldn’t put it down and now I need people to talk to about it. So please read it and tell me what you think about it. There were parts I really enjoyed and others that I really disliked, but all in all, it’s a great little story for a sunny afternoon spent next to the ocean. Remember to keep the glasses on though, there are parts that trigger the waterworks. Fair warning.

14. Charlotte Strapless Convertible Bra by ëa Lingerie: Once again, I’m not saying you have to wear a bra, but if you do prefer to wear one, make sure it is either a convertible/racerback/strapless type. After all, MC Lounge designer, Kelly Isaac,  went to a lot of trouble to hand-make you such a glorious silken luxury. The least you could do is not mar the look with visible bra straps! Just saying.


15. Love Moschino Pink Satin Print Bag: Surprised? I am! Generally speaking I don’t tend to go for the ultra-girley kind of bags like this, but something about it just screamed out to me! Which is really weird, because most people who know me, know I hate housework with an intensity usually reserved for glandular meats hidden in meat pies!

Well, there you have it folks. A lazy afternoon’s outfit and still an opportunity to take your lingerie out for a walk and look-see! I’m casting around for my next reading choice, so if you’ve read anything awesome lately, let me know. Oh, and I can’t wait to show you next week’s look, it’s pretty awesome. But, until then, you’ll just have to wait. Oh darn, I should have included an ornamental tissue holder for your reading comfort... meh, I did warn you ahead of time.

Cheers,
Maggie (Blog Contributor for Bella Bella Boutique)

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and RSS.
Shop with us at BellaBellaBoutique.com

Comments

delia said…
So great to read a little write up of my home town. Stanley Park is a great spot to visit (closed yesterday due to high winds).

delia
http://www.lovelaughlipglosses.com/